Saturday, July 25, 2009

Art and Reality TV


Let me begin by saying that I loath the fact that EVERYTHING on TV is a "reality" show, but like many Americans, from time to time I am guilty of indulging in mindless "unscripted" TV. Currently, a new show is in the works that will document a competition between 13 contemporary artists. The show is being produced by Sarah Jessica Parker (whom I LOVE) and will show artists competing to win a gallery show and a museum tour featuring their work.

I am definitely intrigued by this concept. I think it will be somewhat tough to pull off given that art and taste are subjective, but I think it will present a great opportunity to showcase the work of these artists. A show of this sort will bring more exposure to the arts, and not only exhibit the finished products, but also reveal the creative process. Since contemporary art is based heavily upon the ideas of the artist, I think this will provide a great opportunity for viewers to tap into the psyche of these individuals and begin to appreciate the intellect and ingenuity of artists. I'm definitely tuning in!

No comments: